Sunday, August 13, 2006

Faith Is Not a Comfort

Reference:
From an interview of Madeleine L'Engle about a Wrinkle in Time movie. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4926262/

Keywords: L'Engle, comfort, challenge

What are you working on at the moment?
A book about aging: enjoy it, you might as well. And it’s not all bad. I can say what I want, and I don’t get punished for it.

Such as?
Such as I sometimes think God is a s--t-and he wouldn’t be worth it otherwise. He’s much more interesting when he’s a s--t.

So to you, faith is not a comfort?
Good heavens, no. It’s a challenge: I dare you to believe in God. I dare you to think [our existence] wasn’t an accident.

Many people see faith as anti-intellectual.
Then they’re not very bright. It takes a lot of intellect to have faith, which is why so many people only have religiosity.

No comments: