Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Humble Improve

Source: "What Humility Looks Like", Expioleadership

Keyword:

Several years ago, I was sipping my grande coffee and contemplating a difficult situation at work when I noticed three words on the back of my cup: "The humble improve" - Wynton Marsalis. Wow! Three words that sum up why humility is key to success.

I'm not a brain surgeon, but I can remember three words. Jazz fan or not you're probably familiar with Pulitzer Prize-winning trumpeter and composer Wynton Marsalis. In his book, "To a Young Jazz Musician: Letters from the Road," Marsalis mentors a young musician named Anthony through a series of letters.

In one letter, Marsalis writes about the "The Humble Self": "You can tell when someone is truly humble, because they consistently observe and listen, the humble improve. They don't assume, 'I know the way.' Humility engenders learning because it beats back the arrogance that puts blinders on. It leaves you open for truths to reveal themselves."

No comments: